Hello and welcome to Hoover Elementary! We are a Kindergarten – 5th Grade Elementary School in Corvallis, Oregon. Please explore our website to find information about our school and the Corvallis School District.
Welcome to the 2019 – 2020 School Year at Hoover Elementary! We look forward to an amazing year of learning and fun with all of our families. This home page will be updated with new information weekly so check back often!
Hoover School Monthly Construction Update
Each month we will be receiving a communication from the Wenaha Group with updates on the construction progress of our new school building. We will be sharing these updates with our Hoover community via this weekly newsletter. Please go to our News Page for this month’s update: http://hoover.csd509j.net/
Hoover OBOB Competition – Sign Up to Help Out!
We are excited to be gearing up for our OBOB (Oregon Battle of the Books) Competition on Friday, February 21st, and we need your help.
Several volunteers are need to make this competition a success for our kids. Please consider helping with the battles, even the coaches can be involved in some of the jobs. Here are descriptions for the positions we need help with:
- Moderator – reads the question to the team, records correct/incorrect response, final decision on answers (*this position cannot be filled by a parent who’s child is involved in the battle, but could be rotate among parents if needed)
- Timekeeper – times each question (15 seconds) during battles, provides feedback/support to Moderator if an answer is questionable (this can be a parent of a child in a battle)
- Scorekeeper – records the score for each question during battles, provides feedback/support to Moderator if an answer is questionable (this can be a parent of a child in a battle)
Please follow this link to sign up to help with this event: OBOB Sign Up Page
It’s time for the Hoover Husky Read-A-Thon! Last year Hoover students reported reading more than 80,000 minutes!
All money raised from the HPTO Read-a-Thon goes towards classroom enhancements to support all Hoover students.
The schedule for this year’s Read-a-Thon:
- February 8 – 16: Prepare Get friends and family to agree to sponsor you!
- February 17 – 23: READ!! Read and log your minutes on the read-a-thon bookmark!
- February 24 – March 3: Collect Funds Collect the money/pledges from your sponsors.
- By March 3 at the latest: Return your Bookmark, Sponsor Form and Pledges/Funds to the school office or your teacher in the envelope provided. Any checks should be made out to HPTO
- March 6: CELEBRATE!! Prizes for individual students and Celebrations for the winning classes!
Parents, please help make this a success! Encourage your child to participate and help them find time to read. Thank you! Questions? Contact Mindy Taylor, parent volunteer coordinator, at 541-243-2558 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hoover Auction Helpers Needed
Thanks to parents Lori Rinck and Vicki Farnsworth, the Hoover Auction planning is underway.
With the planning in place, the Auction Team now needs parent helpers who are willing to deliver donation request letters to local businesses and/or help with other small tasks.
If you can pitch in for these small tasks, please reach out to Lori at email@example.com. All funds raised from the auction go to support enrichment activities at Hoover benefitting all students!
The Green Team Needs You!
The Hoover PTO is working with the school to bring back the school sustainability club. Known as the Green Team – the sustainability club will be made up of Hoover students and parents who are passionate about sustainable practices and taking care of the earth.
Parent Karen Thompson is taking the lead on this project. If you are interested in being a part of the Green Team, please contact Karen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hoover Chess Club
HPTO is bringing back the Hoover Chess Club! The first meeting will be Tuesday, February 18th at 4pm in the Hoover Library. This is a free club and all ages and levels are welcome. We hope to see you there! For more information, please check out the flier. HPTO Hoover Chess Club Flier
Mark Your Calendar – Community Clean-Up Service Project
We are currently organizing a community service project that will allow parents and children to work together to give back to the community around our school. “Share the Love Community Clean-Up” will be Saturday, February 22nd starting at 9:00 a.m. We will stage from the Hoover Parking Lot.
The goal of this project is for families (parents and children together) to clean-up the walking paths/streets that our students commonly use to walk to and from school. We will map out sections in the surrounding neighborhood to give to small groups as well as have the supplies they will need.
So many benefits come from this project including teaching our students to be good neighbors as well as removing trash from the environment.
Please mark your calendar and plan to join us! For more information see the flier in the link: Share the Love Hoover Flier
Supporting the HPTO via Amazon, Fred Meyers, and Box Tops for Education
Here are three easy ways to support your HPTO without changing your regular buying habits. Help us out by connecting to all three!
SCAN your BOX TOPS for Education
- Follow this link: (https://www.
- Download the BoxTops App and sign up for free. Their website explains how to scan receipts from places like Fred Meyer, WinCo, Walmart, and Target to earn money for Hoover! Don’t forget to link your account to Hoover Elementary School.
- Visit Amazon Smile like you would Amazon Prime. Set up a free account and link with Hoover. Anytime you shop, Hoover will receive 0.5% of eligible purchases.
FRED MEYER Community Rewards
- If you already have a Fred Meyer reward card, you simply log into your account and link your existing card number to Hoover Elementary for rewards.
- If you don’t have a Fred Meyer reward card, fill out an application at Fred Meyer OR visit Fred Meyer Community Rewards (https://www.fredmeyer.com/
- Create a free account and link your rewards account to Hoover Elementary School.
- Note: you will still get your normal reward points, fuel points, and rebates.
Hoover Closet Wish List
Our Hoover Closet holds clothing items that children can borrow when they get muddy, wet, or have spills/accidents at school. Sometimes we find ourselves short on sizes/types of clothing and request donations of gently used items.
Currently our closet is in need of size medium girls pants (elastic waist athletic pants or leggings would be ideal). Thank you, in advance, if you have items you can share.
Hoover Running Club (AHA Club) Kick Off
AHA Student Running Club is really going strong this year! So far students have run over 1700 miles—that’s farther than running from here to Omaha, Nebraska! Kids are still running through the winter.
The kids LOVE it when parents volunteer to count laps during recess time. See the link below to sign up to mark off laps during morning recess for the next few months (a day here or there – or on a regular basis – every little bit helps!). https://www.signupgenius.com/
Volunteering at Corvallis Schools – Including CHAPERONING FOR FIELD TRIPS
If you want to volunteer at a Corvallis School, including chaperoning for fieldtrips, please go to the Volunteer Home Access Page on the district website where you can set up your own account, get your volunteer clearance, and manage your information. https://www.csd509j.net/students-parents/volunteer/. You will receive a confirmation email when your application is successfully processed (please note it takes a little bit longer at the beginning of the school year).
Please note that volunteering includes attending field trips with your child’s classroom. This is especially important with the end of year celebration activities that are coming up! You must have the background check in order to be able to attend these events.
Upcoming Dates to make note of include:
|Monday, Feb. 17th||NO SCHOOL – President’s Day holiday|
|Friday, Feb. 21st||1:15 – 6:00 p.m.||Hoover OBOB Competition (staging from Hoover gym)|
|Saturday, Feb. 22nd||9:00 a.m. – Noon||HPTO “Share the Love” Community Clean Up Day|
|Friday, Feb. 28th||12:30 p.m.||EXTRA EARLY Release at 12:30 p.m. today|
|Monday, March 2nd||Reading Spirit Week – Dr. Seuss Day|
|Tuesday, March 3rd||Reading Spirit Week – Pajama Day|
|Tuesday, March 3rd||3:00 p.m.||Read-a-Thon pledges are due (to count toward class totals)|
|Wednesday, March 4th||Reading Spirit Week – Hat Day|
|Wednesday, March 4th||Walk & Bike to School Day|
|Thursday, March 5th||Reading Spirit Week – Hawaiian Shirt Day|
|Friday, March 6th||Reading Spirit Week – Stripes Day|
|Friday, March 6th||Read-a-Thon Celebrations|
|Wednesday, March 11th||NO SCHOOL – Parent/Teacher Conferences|
|Thursday, March 12th||NO SCHOOL – Parent/Teacher Conferences|
|Friday, March 13th||NO SCHOOL – Parent/Teacher Conferences|