Every month Corvallis School District, along with the project manager for our new school, Wenaha Group, put out an update on where we are in our in this process. This update includes updated schedules, what is currently being worked on, upcoming activities for the next quarter, as well as other highlights and pictures. We will post these updates as they are made available on this page.
Hoover Design Advisory Update – 10/11/19
The Hoover Design Advisory Committee met again this week as we wrap up the design development phase of the building process.
The Hoover Design team spent a lot of time, over multiple meetings, developing the site plan for the new building. Some highlights of the design plan include:
- good flow and access for multiple modes of transportation including two covered bike areas
- a multi-use path (12’ wide) with pedestrian access to the school without crossing the driveway
- a bus drop-off that is separated from the parent drop-off, and is located on the northeast end of the building
- classroom technology infrastructure is standardized, reliable and resilient including integrated sound systems and emergency communications throughout the building
- a variety of spaces for student learning, collaboration, and support for individuals or groups that are distributed throughout the building.
Bond Update 9/30/19: Hoover Construction Timeline
With input from district and school leadership, the CSD bond project team has made a strategic shift in the scheduling of new construction.
An unprecedented amount of construction activity in the region is presenting market challenges including a shortage of qualified construction personnel, rapidly increasing costs due to supply and demand, and competing bond work in nearby districts.
Due to these factors, Lincoln and Hoover Schools will not begin construction at the same time as originally planned. Lincoln will begin construction in late spring 2020 and Hoover will begin construction in summer 2020. The new schedule moves the upcoming projects to more favorable bid timing and better accommodates the district’s capacity for an orderly process for opening the new schools.
Hoover is targeted for building completion during winter 2021-2022 and grounds and site work will be completed by the fall of 2022. Occupancy dates will be determined later in the project. The Hoover project team is continuing to work through the design process and will be submitting for building permits at the end of 2019.
Hoover families and the Corvallis community are invited to see the design concepts and plans for Hoover and all other district projects at the October 17th Bond Expo. The Expo will be held at Linus Pauling Middle School from 6:30 – 8:00 pm. All are welcome!
Corvallis School District Bond Expo – Community Information Night April 24
We are excited to invite Hoover families and staff to the Corvallis School District Bond Expo on Wednesday, April 24. This event will take place in the Garfield Elementary School gym from 6:30 – 8:00 pm.
Families, students, community members, and staff are invited to view project plans and talk with architects and district leaders about current activities including the replacement of Hoover Elementary with a new building on our current site. Please plan to attend to ask questions and provide your feedback.
Update on Hoover Replacement School
The Hoover Design Advisory Committee (made up of parents, staff, and community members) has met two times to provide feedback to the architect team. Key messages from the second committee meeting are:
- The district is committed to a cost-effective, equitable bond program and in support of those values, the architect design team is exploring a prototype hybrid design. There will be similarities between Lincoln and Hoover’s new schools. The architect team is reviewing what features of the building can be similar on both Lincoln and Hoover campuses, with different features for the specific needs of the school community.
- Hoover will be a two-story school due to the size of the site. Scenarios for placement of the learning clusters are in discussion. Concepts include a focus on learning centered discussions, natural lighting, and access to the site’s natural area for outdoor learning.
- The pre-design work is closely tied to the Educational Specifications and the Design Guidance Principles with a focus on collaborative spaces, including specialized learning areas, outdoor learning, and gender inclusive restrooms.
- Students will remain on the Hoover campus throughout the design process and during construction of the new building.
- The design work completed so far will be on display at the Expo. Please join us and share your feedback!
You can also learn about other activities taking place throughout the district at the Bond Expo
- Garfield Elementary School will have major renovations including the addition of a classroom wing, site circulation improvements, and a newly designed secure front entrance.
- Lincoln Elementary School will be replaced with a new school building on their current site. The design work completed so far will be on display at the Expo.
- Crescent Valley High School improvements include major renovations in the Career and Technical Educational classrooms and upgrades to athletic facilities.
- Corvallis High School will have some renovations completed this summer including softball facility upgrades including replacement dugouts, new concessions, new restroom facilities, replacement seating, and repairs to the field drainage and fencing.
- Sustainability Guidelines are in development for all facilities improvements. Learn how the district is focusing on sustainable choices in our facilities improvements through the use of district-wide guidelines that support efficient use of energy and water, promote more sustainable transportation, and reduce waste in the construction process.
A weekly newsletter is sent out from Marcy in the front office via Listerv called the Hoover Happenings. The latest copy will be available here as well. These newsletters include important dates for the coming month, announcements from the school and district level, messages from HPTO, and more. Please try to read it every week!